[Pm-utils] [RFC] Writing "${HIBERNATE_MODE}" unconditionally to /sys/power/disk

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 07:36:35 PDT 2008

2008/3/18, Victor Lowther <victor.lowther at gmail.com>:
>  >
>  > Or only, if HIBERNATE_MODE is firmware or platform? And is this the
>  > correct way to determine if firmware or platform is supported.
>

> How about just defaulting to "shutdown"?  True, we might disable the
>  suspend LED, and wake-on-lid probably will not work, but shutdown should
>  work everywhere with no problems.  If a user or distro wants "firmware"
>  or "platform" they can modify the defaults accordingly.

I don't have enough information yet to make an educated decision.
Can't we just accept the default that is set in /sys/power/disk and
leave HIBERNATE_METHOD commented out by default (and we do nothing if
-z) ?
That means, the user would have to intentionally set HIBERNATE_METHOD
via /etc/pm/config.d and if he does that, he likely knows what he is
doing?

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?