[Pm-utils] Video quirks without HAL or dbus

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Nov 4 05:53:13 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 07:39:11AM -0600, Victor Lowther wrote:

> Ripping out quirks is definitly the wrong way to work with kernel mode
> setting. It is better to add new --quirk-none quirks once we know and
> have tested kernel and driver combinations on hardware that currently
> requires quirks. I needed something easier to work with than hal rules
> to test things with, and this is the yestbed I came up with.

No. Quirks currently exist to work around missing functionality. Once
that functionality is implemented, continuing to provide the quirks is
working around bugs. It's more important to find and fix those bugs than
it is to band-aid around them. On KMS systems, they're actively damaging
- the kernel will program graphics mode, the quirks will program text
mode, X will ask the kernel what mode it's in, get the wrong answer
(because the kernel still thinks it's in graphics mode) and then attempt
to display on a card that's set up in text mode.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org