[Pm-utils] pm-utils 1.2.1 and 1.1.2.5 released

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 16:13:15 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 18:30 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> 2008/10/6 Stefan Seyfried <seife at suse.de>:
> > Michael Biebl wrote:
> >> 2008/10/4 Victor Lowther <victor.lowther at gmail.com>:
> >
> >> I also wonder, if we shouldn't  always reset acpi_flags to 0.
> >
> > IMHO yes, you should. s2ram is doing this for quite some time now after I was
> > chasing some strange bug reports. This also gets rid of people still using
> > "acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode" on the kernel command line and then telling you
> > "My machine does not need any quirks!!!11!"
> >

> Cool, so we basically all agree on that in general.
>
> Victor already committed a proposed fix [1].
>
> It uses a different approach then s2ram.
>
> - s2ram *always* set acpi_flags to 0 *before* suspend, unless you pass
> custom acpi flags to s2ram
>
> - pm-utils does not set acpi_flags on suspend, unless you pass
> --quirk-s3* to pm-suspend. On resume it always sets acpi_flags to 0.
> This can have weird effects. If e.g. you use the kernel option
> acpi_sleep, acpi_flags would be != 0 on first suspend and 0 on the
> second suspend.

I totally was not thinking about kernel commandline options.  Do people
still use those things? ;)

My choice of resetting acpi_video_flags after the fact was completly
arbitrary and did not reflect any deep logic or special insight -- I was
just thinking in terms of resetting it after suspend and not of always
setting it before suspend.

> But shouldn't we restore the acpi_flags that were set before suspend?

I don't really see why -- IIRC, the video acpi flags are only used for
suspend/resume, otherwise they are irrelavent.

> Basically it would be like that
>
> suspend
> 1.) Store current kernel.acpi_video_flags
> 2.) Set kernel.acpi_video_flag to 0 unless you pass custom acpi flags to s2ram
> resume
> 3.) restore the value from 1.)

Eh, taking kernel commandline options into account I would just always
set the acpi_video_flag on suspend, even if we are just setting it to
zero.  The value it has after resuming does not matter until we are
ready to suspend again.

--
Victor Lowther
Ubuntu Certified Professional