[Pm-utils] pm-suspend working only after resuming from pm-hiberante

Leonardo Canducci leonardocanducci at yahoo.it
Tue Oct 7 13:48:05 PDT 2008

--- Mar 7/10/08, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Da: Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com>
> Oggetto: Re: [Pm-utils] pm-suspend working only after resuming from pm-hiberante
> A: leonardocanducci at yahoo.it
> Cc: pm-utils at lists.freedesktop.org, "Jesse Barnes" <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org>
> Data: Martedì 7 ottobre 2008, 22:29
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Leonardo Canducci
> <leonardocanducci at yahoo.it> wrote:
> > --- Mar 7/10/08, Dan Nicholson
> <dbn.lists at gmail.com> ha scritto:
> >
> >> Da: Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com>

> an
> >> hibernate/thaw cycle and doesn't on a normal
> boot?
> >> That's wierd!
> >>
> >> So, you're saying that:
> >>
> >> 1. Suspend to ram after a regular boot fails to
> restore
> >> video
> >>
> >> 2. Suspend to ram after a thaw from hibernate
> restores
> >> video correctly
> > That's it. Sorry if I was not clear enough.
> > In case 1. system freezes and I have to shutdown via
> power button. In case 2. I can use s2ram without problems. I
> can't really figure out the reason of this different
> behaviour.
>
> That seems like it could only be a problem in the kernel or
> in the X
> video driver. But since you say that the system freezes
> (rather than
> just the video failing), I'm leaning towards the
> kernel.
on resume I see hd led flash, black screen and no keyboard (caps lock led doesn't turn on, and ctrl-alt-canc/backspace, ctrl-alt-f1 or even magic sysreq combos produce no results).

> You said this was an Intel 855GM? What kernel are you
> running? What X
> driver are you using? If you can get the Xorg log or dmesg
> from when
> the display fails to come back, that might be helpful.
I'm running debian lenny stock kernel 2.6.26-1-686 with intel X driver version 2.3.2-2+lenny4 on X 7.3. On a faulty resume I can't connect via ssh and I have no control of the system. All I can do is to power down not cleanly using power button so I guess I can't get a dmesg or X log when problem occurs.

> I'm cc'ing Jesse Barnes to see if he might be more
> familiar with
> resume issues with 855GM. Please keep him in the reply
> list.
>
> --
> Dan
Many thanks,