[Pm-utils] RFC - PATCH to functions.in to support Slackware init

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Tue Oct 7 14:01:30 PDT 2008

Robby Workman wrote:
> Attached is an "idea" patch - in other words, I don't intend for this
> to be considered for committing upstream; rather, I'm really just
> wanting to flesh out whether what I have in mind is horribly bad. :-)
>
> Here's the patch (it's also attached, in case some mail clients munge
> the content.  My thoughts are *in* the patch ; responses?  :-)

> +# Also, we (Slackware) have some init scripts that don't have a "status"
> +# directive in them, so maybe using that to check if something is running
> +# won't always work.

OTOH "service" and the "status" method of init scripts is LSB since quite some
time IIUC, so why not just fix the slackware init scripts?

> Is "pgrep $service" acceptable (although that will
> +# still miss stuff due to the above paragraph's concerns)?

If you just implement a "status" function in those init scripts, then
everything is fine. The script should know what to grep for.

Just my 2euro-cents, of course ;-)
--
Stefan Seyfried
R&D Team Mobile Devices            |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)