[Pm-utils] Problems with 98smart-kernel-video and intel graphics chipsets

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 05:34:26 PDT 2008

2008/9/21 Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com>:

> Hang on, Michael. I don't think we're talking about kernel modesetting
> here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of the modesetting patches
> have landed in upstream linux, much less in 2.6.26. I don't think
> Debian has backported the modesetting patches, right?

It might very well be, that I'm mixing things up here, that's why I
asked for clarification.

I don't know, if Debian has any modesetting patches backported, but I doubt it.

> What we're concerned with right now is just if the 915 drm driver in
> recent vanilla kernels (2.6.26 and 2.6.27-rc*) is saving and restoring
> all the state necessary around a suspend/resume cycle to get the
> display up. Having all the modesetting done in the drm driver is a new
> feature around the corner. Right now, you need some coordination
> between the X video driver and the DRM driver to get the display
> restored.

Going back to the original bug report I referenced, you see that the
bug reporter was running a 2.6.26 kernel and has a 915 hardware.
Apparently he still requires the vbe* quirks to successfully suspend and resume.

So, is there something within pm-utils that has to be done about this
or is this a kernel bug?

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?