[Pm-utils] Suspending on an ASUS P5N7A-VM

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Tue Mar 17 13:15:10 PDT 2009

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:18:47 -0700
Geoffrey Leach <geoff at hughes.net> wrote:

> The (relatively new) ASUS P5N7A-VM. The key components are Nvidia
> GeForce 9300 and nForce 730i. I have Fedora 10 installed and (more-or-
> less) up to date, as are the Nvidia drivers.
>
> I have had no luck at all getting the system to restart from suspend
> (to ram) or hibernate (to disk). Suspending appears to work, but
> Working my way through the quirks has not given me any joy.
>
> Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to try? Or am I just wasting
> my time.

Here are a few (not necessarily connected) thoughts:

Does the system come back up at all?  Are any keyboard led's blinking
afterward?  Does it respond to pings, and/or can you log in to it via
ssh?

Can you try using the xorg "nv" driver instead and see if that makes a
difference?

You might also try running this (as root) from command line:
  PM_DEBUG=true pm-suspend
That should put more information into /var/log/pm-suspend.log.
Granted, it may not be terribly useful if the machine won't resume at
all, but one can hope.

Check your list of modules in use.  If one of them is r8169, then I
know for certain that it can cause resume issues, although in my case
the only impact is no network.  You can work around that by
creating /etc/pm/config.d/defaults and populating it with this line:
  SUSPEND_MODULES="r8169"

-RW