[Pm-utils] Fwd: Suddenly lost the ability to suspend

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Tue Mar 17 13:17:48 PDT 2009

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 16:06:46 -0500 (EST)
Ryan Hughes <ryan at iheartryan.com> wrote:

> Hi.  I've got some more info.
> I got out a backup drive that was made before, when sleep worked.  I
> can boot from it, and it can still sleep.  So that means there's some
> sort of software problem.  I looked through a bunch of files, and
> didn't see anything obvious.  I thought I'd send it along and see if
> someone here could help interpret the results, or knew of an
> additional source of info.
>
> I attached two dmesg's:  One from when I booted from my backup, where
> sleep worked.  That's called dmesg.good.txt.  The other is from when
> I boot now, where sleep doesn't work.  That's called dmesg.bad.txt.
>
> I took diffs of many commands.  They are attached.
> One is 'dpkg -l', showing all the packages I have installed.
>
> One is lsmod | sort.
>
> There is no difference in uname -a.  That's:
>  	Linux drawesome 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 02:46:46
> UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I also included diff -Nru of the good /etc directory with that of my
> current /etc/ directory.
>
> I edited out a little bit of sensitive information.  vpn config files
> and such.
> Note:  There's a lot of stuff in there about kvm.  But it turns out
> that my processor (an Intel Celeron) can't run kvm, so it is not
> actually loaded.
>
> So, I hope somebody can help me out.  If not, I will just have to
> reinstall my OS, as though this was Windows Vista or something.
>
> Thanks.
> --Ryan
>
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Ryan Jud Hughes wrote:
>

> > Hi.  I've been running my laptop for about a year.  It's a
> > Lenovo-branded Thinkpad R61.  For most of its life, everything went
> > fine.  Suddenly, about a month ago, I lost the ability to suspend.
> >
> > I'm using Ubuntu 8.04, with a variety of their kernels, such as
> > 2.6.22-14.
> >
> > I'd like to tell you what version of pm-suspend I'm using, but
> > typing 'pm-suspend --version' causes the screen to go blank and
> > bumps me to some blank virtual console or something.
> >
> > This is the same thing that happens when I use any combination of
> > quirks I've tried.  I get bumped to some blank virtual console.
> > Perhaps VC 7 without X graphics on it.  Hitting alt-F7 takes me
> > back into X.  Nothing shows up in the syslog or
> > in /var/log/pm-suspend.log.  The machine stays active.  The screen
> > is on, it responds to ssh, all calculations continue. Just that
> > slight bump to the graphics is the only way I know that anything at
> > all has happened.
> >
> > The traditional quirks to use with this hardware platform are
> > s3-mode and s3-bios.  That combination has the same results as any
> > other combination.
> >
> > So what should I try?  How can I get some more information out of
> > there? Do I need to set it to some sort of debug mode in order to
> > get the debugging info?

Hi Ryan,

Sorry for the delay; I've had this marked as "to-reply" for several
days now, but I keep forgetting...  Anyway, you can run pm-suspend from
a command line like this to get more information in the log:
  PM_DEBUG=true pm-suspend    # run as root

This sounds like you have a stale lockfile in /var/run/pm-utils/locks/
though - check to see, and if so, remove it.

-RW