[Pm-utils] [gpm] gnome-power-manger-2.26.0 suspend and hibernate

Chris Vine chris at cvine.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 12:03:50 PDT 2009

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 06:10:18 -0500
Victor Lowther <victor.lowther at gmail.com> wrote:
> Very interesting -- it does not log anything during thaw at all?
> Could you post the last few lines that it does log to the list?

See below.

> > If after thawing I call 'killall pm-hibernate' I can then hibernate
> > again. What's more, having done this once in the initial
> > hibernation/thawing cycle, I can then hibernate repeatedly
> > afterwards without the need explicitly to kill the pm-hibernate
> > process in question.
>
> Yeah, we use a lockfile to ensure that only one suspend/hibernate is
> being processed at any given time.  Killing the process releases the
> lockfile.
>
> > Weird.  Perhaps a hook at 00aaa.sh in /etc/pm/sleep.d which calls
> > 'killall pm-hibernate' on thawing would do the trick?
>
> Depends -- if I understand what is happening, pm-hibernate is never
> getting to the point that it would run that hook on thaw.  The debug
> output should make that clear, though.

All is now revealed.

I had made the mistake of thinking that /var/log/pm-suspend only
contains what was also sent to stdout/stderr.  It doesn't, it reports
also on how the hooks behave.

/var/log/pm-suspend indicates that the problem was that the 55wicd hook
was hanging on thawing.  I think this is a re-emergence of the fact
that the reloading of the wireless modules also tries to bring up the
wireless interface via udev and wicd could not handle two such requests
at the same time.  udev always has to get there first because the
modules have to be loaded before any calls are made to wicd.

Simply commenting out the attempt to bring back the wireless interface
in 55wicd when thawing/resuming solves the problem.  The reloading of
the wireless modules will bring up the interface by itself (via udev).

With that change, all now seems to work happily.  Quite why 55wicd only
hung on the first hibernate/thaw cycle in any user session is not clear
but I guess that's hardware for you.

Thanks for the help.

Chris