[Pm-utils] [patch] disable suspend when kernel image changed

Richard Zidlicky rz at linux-m68k.org
Fri Apr 9 15:37:12 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 06:24:59AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> I'm not sure I think this is really a big issue for pm-utils. 99% of
> people will be using their distro's kernel that has the full version
> in the filename, so they'll never have their current kernel image
> overwritten.

if it is so simple to for pm-utils to fix it why not do it? Crashing
a system just because it may affect only less than 1% of Linux users
is inexcusable.

> ....		 Overwriting the image of your currently running kernel
> and then intentionally hibernating seems to be a pretty risky
> maneuver, and I don't think pm-utils should be trying to safeguard the
> very few people who try to do it. There's a simpler solution to this

afaics it is not documented anywhere and fixing it is easier than documenting
it.

There is nothing that is obviously risky about overwriting an image in /boot.
Also it is not necessarily the same user who hits the hibernate button who
did regenerate the kernel image.

Richard