[Pm-utils] [patch] disable suspend when kernel image changed

Richard Zidlicky rz at linux-m68k.org
Sat Apr 10 12:20:19 PDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:21:16AM -0500, Victor Lowther wrote:

> It is only "simple" in the specific cases the distros create.  There
> is no general way for pm-utils to know what kernel the user will boot
> into on resume from hibernate, so we don't even try -- it is up to the
> user or the distro to get things right.

this was a patch for 01grub which appears to be redhat specific anyway. But
maybe it should be dropped from pm-utils if it is distribution specific and
can not be maintained adequately?

> If the user is hand-rolling and installing their own kernels, any
> breaks are strictly their own problem.

01grub must not allow suspend in situations where it is predictable that resume
will fail.

> True -- every distro does it their own way, so the solution is one for
> the distros, not for pm-utils.
> I encourage distros to roll their own hooks to handle this situation,
> and (in the long term) I think that being able to resume from
> hibernate from a different kernel than you suspended from is the best
> general solution.

that seems reasonable.

Richard