[Pm-utils] Somewhat significant change on pm-utils master git branch

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 08:37:17 PDT 2010

On Apr 14, 2010, at 8:37 AM, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 4:14 AM, Victor Lowther
> <victor.lowther at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 09:37 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
>>>
>>> What does it do? What's the point?
>>
>> Avoids the need to patch functions.in for every non-LSB distro that
>> does
>> not provide one of its own.
>
> Just for completeness, service has nothing to do with the LSB. It's
> just a common (and convenient) script used in linux distros. If you
> just wanted to assume LSB compliance, you could run /etc/init.d/foo
> directly.

Indeed. We used to define a service function that assumed LSB
compliance if a service command was not provided by the distro. That
function had to be patched by every non LSB compliant distro. I moved
our implementation of service into it's own command in our private bin
directory, and structured it to make the inevitable special casing
more modular.