[Pm-utils] Removal of pm/power.d/sched-powersave

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Wed Jun 2 11:54:01 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-29 at 10:40 -0500, Victor Lowther wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 15:30 -0400, Chase Douglas wrote:
> > I've been working on powersave policies in Ubuntu, where we've created a
> > package with a bunch of scripts. You can find some scripts I've been
> > working on for Maverick at:
> >
> > http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~chasedouglas/ubuntu/maverick/pm-utils-powersave-policy/updates/files/head:/power.d/
>
> Take a look at
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pm-utils/log/?h=powersave-hooks
>
> I toyed around with adding more powersave scripts to pm-utils back in
> 2008, but there was a general lack of interest at the time.  If Ubuntu
> is looking at adding more default powersaving scripts, it is probaably
> time to resurrect things.
>
> If y'all want to work on merging your powersave scripts with pm-utils,
> we should be able to work something out. :)

Sounds good to me. What do I need to do to get some of these scripts
merged?

> > What I noticed is that the scheduling policies conflict with the
> > sched-powersave policy in pm-utils. I would like to propose that the
> > policy be removed from pm-utils, since it seems like it's on an island.
> > It makes more sense to me to split the policy from the implementation.
>
> Well, if the policy was in general more complicated than "save as much
> battery life as we can while still beig useful" it might make sense to
> split it out.  The only knobs I would offer by default would be ones
> that would either always run with powersaving enabled or disabled while
> ignoring powersave state changes -- if people want to tweak how
> individual powersave hooks work, pm-utils makes it very easy for them to
> drop in a hook that overrides the ones we ship by default.

How a user overrides a hook and how a distro overrides a hook is
different. The former is well defined, but the latter is not.

Mostly I'm just looking for some sort of agreement on how to handle
distro vs upstream pm hooks. If we want to merge some hooks upstream,
and have the distros manually shove specific hooks they don't want into
somewhere else like /usr/share/doc/pm-utils/upstream-hooks/ when they
package it up, then that's fine with me. I'm open to any reasonable way
to reconcile this issue :).

Thanks,

-- Chase