[Pm-utils] Lenovo T420 issues

Athlion athlion at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 08:59:25 PDT 2012

Hello all. I have a Lenovo T420 with the integrated intel HD3000 card
(no optimus) and have issues suspending the laptop. What happens is,
briefly, that after I've been using the laptop for about a day or two
(suspending/resuming with no problems) the suspend fails and the sleep
led will start flashing constantly. If I open the lid, I see that X
has dropped back to the display manager and no suspension has taken
place. You can see the thread I have opened in arch linux forums here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1134478

What's more interesting is that if I try to reboot after the failed
suspend, the system starts rebooting, suspends correctly midway and
finishes the reboot upon resuming.

I am trying to figure the source of this problem as this affects other
laptops as well and in the process I have enabled PM_DEBUG and
collected the /var/log/pm-suspend.log from an OK and from a failed
one. You can find them here:
OK: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63420/suspend.log.ok
Not OK: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63420/suspend.log.notok

There are a couple of interesting points to notice
1. One glaring difference is that they differ only in the initial
active/not active (which I believe is referring to laptop_mode_tools)
- But this thing happens to users having completely removed laptop
mode tools, so this doesn't seem to be relevant
2. They are the same up to line 381 (when the OK version ends). What
goes beyond that in the not ok is beyond my comprehension....

Can anyone offer any help or info on what's going on and how I can
track the problem?

Thanks!