[Pm-utils] fixing (an almost fixed) suspend of the asus 1025c

CG cg at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 20 13:38:29 PST 2012

Hardware/software context
=========================
Machine: ASUS eee pc 1025C
CPU: N2800
Integrated graphics processor: Intel GMA3650
OS: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
kernel: 3.4.0-0304000-generic (note: I upgraded to a newer kernel than
the standard kernel packaged with Ubuntu 12.04. This was required to
exploit several features of the GMA3650.)

Problem
=======
suspend is broken (but almost fixed).

Observations
============
pm-suspend => garbled screen after wake up

pm-suspend --quirk-vbemode-restore => after wake up, screen is black
(that is, the active-type-of-black: the backlight is on). Moving mouse
or keyboard doesn't change anything. This is the case until the default
screen saver becomes active. Then the screen goes completely dark
(backlight off) and after that, moving mouse or keyboard brings back a
visible, and completely correct screen.

I also tried other combinations of quirks, but the results were in each
case one of the above.

Question
========
How can suspend be fixed? The screensaver apparently does something good
to the state of the graphics system, but what is it? I tried to simulate
it with calling the screensaver directly from the command line
(gnome-screensaver-command -a), but that didn't work (it didn't have the
same positive effect as the default screensaver which becomes active
automatically after X minutes).

Thanks in advance!

Chide