[Pm-utils] Black unresponsive screen after hibernate/thaw presumably due to NVIDIA driver

Michel DEVEL michel.devel at univ-fcomte.fr
Sun Oct 20 18:23:40 PDT 2013

Dear pm-utils users and developers,

This is my first mail on this list so I present myself a bit:
I am a long time user of opensuse at work and at home, but I am only a
user and certainly not a system expert, so that even after reading some
of the documentation for the opensuse implementation of pm-utils, I
still have problems to be able to sort out by myself a problem with
pm-utils.

I have had a problem with hibernate/resume on my computer since at least
the default pm-utils that was integrated in opensuse 11.4 until now
(12.3)! (In fact I do not remember that it ever worked for me). The
problem is that I usually have plenty of softs and at least one virtual
machine opened at the same time (I have 24 GB of RAM) so that I almost
never shutdown and reboot my PC and have very rarely the occasion and
time to experiment with hibernate.
Hence, if you solve the following problem, you will also make a good
action for the planet since I will be able to use hibernation at the end
of every working day!

The current version of pm-utils on my PC is   1.4.1-26.17.1

The hibernate and resume just go on all right (success at the end of
pm-suspend.log and 100% of data image loaded) but I get a black screen
afterward (and neither Ctrl-Alt-F1 to F12 works nor Ctrl-Alt-Esc or
Ctrl-Alt-Del).

By checking Xorg.0.log against Xorg.0.log.old, I see that at the end
after the EDID checks I have
[ 4863.515] (II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
[ 4863.592] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to enter interactive mode.
[ 4863.592] (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to determine display capabilities
[ 4863.592] (EE) *** Aborting ***
[ 4863.592]
Fatal server error:
[ 4863.592] EnterVT failed for screen 0
[ 4863.592]
[ 4863.592] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at xorg <http://wiki.x.org>
for help.
[ 4863.592] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
for additional information.
[ 4863.592] (EE)
[ 4863.594] (II) evdev: Logitech HID compliant keyboard: Close
[ 4863.594] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[ 4863.594] (II) evdev: Logitech HID compliant keyboard: Close
[ 4863.595] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[ 4863.596] (II) evdev: Microsoft Corporation Microsoft ® Laser Mouse
6000: Close
[ 4863.596] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[ 4863.596] (II) evdev: STV06xx: Close
[ 4863.596] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[ 4863.597] (II) evdev: Power Button: Close
[ 4863.597] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[ 4863.597] (II) evdev: Power Button: Close
[ 4863.597] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"

I have tried to google "(EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to determine display
capabilities" but the only reference are for my former posts on the
opensuse forums

My graphics card is a GTX260 and I use x11-video-nvidiaG03,
nvidia-gfx03-kmp-desktop and nvidia-computeG03 from
obs://build.suse.de/home:sndirsch:drivers though I do not have this repo
in my list (I have ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/12.3/) ...

I have tried to create a script named first 99znvidia the 99nvidia with
::::::::::::::
/etc/pm/sleep.d/99znvidia
::::::::::::::
#!/bin/bash

. $PM_UTILS_LIBDIR/functions

case "$1" in
hibernate|suspend)
modunload nvidia
;;
thaw|resume)
modreload nvidia
;;
*)
;;
esac

exit 0

The script was executed during hibernate and thaw with success, but my
screen stayed black and unresponsive after the image was loaded into
memory and pm_suspend.log contains only success.

Any help will be appreciated.