Add support for group auth to PolicyKit?

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Tue Dec 2 21:43:18 PST 2008

While trying to duplicate our functionality of PolicyKit-less HAL, I
reached the conclusion that it's not possible with the current feature
set of PolicyKit (I may of course be wrong).  I think I'm going to need
some way to automatically authorize members of *groups* (rather than
just individual users) to take actions.  As a over-simplified example,
something like this in PolicyKit.conf:

  <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage*">
    <match group="plugdev">
      <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
  </match>

While searching for similar requests/discussions, I found this:
  http://moblin.org/community/blogs/toddbrandt/2008/policykit-and-consolekit
Is this something planned for David's in-progress rewrite, and if not,
what are the chances of adding it?  :-)

-RW