Polkit1

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 15:07:40 PDT 2009

Just to add my experience as well. What I'm telling you is happening with
latest polkit trunk configured with:

./configure       --prefix=/usr       --sysconfdir=/etc       --
libexecdir=/usr/lib/PolicyKit1       --localstatedir=/var       --disable-
static       --with-os-type=archlinux

And installed with make install and nothing else. Clean, plain installation.

Let's go:

drf at drfarch:~$ gdb pkexec
GNU gdb 6.8
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
(gdb) r nano
Starting program: /usr/bin/pkexec nano
pkexec must be setuid root

Program exited with code 0177.

But...

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 22995 13 lug 23:15 /usr/bin/pkexec

pkexec is setuid root. Starting polkitd-1 instead results in:

drf at drfarch:~$ sudo /usr/lib/PolicyKit1/polkitd-1
Registering null backend at priority 0
Using authority class PolkitBackendNullAuthority

(process:31215): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:31215): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handler_disconnect:
assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:31215): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(process:31215): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:31215): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handler_disconnect:
assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
Error registering authority: Could not become primary name owner for
org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1

Obviously the policy file is present and should work out. And why nullbackend
is loaded? Configure said I was using PAM actually. I installed also polkit-
gnome-1, and:

drf at drfarch:~$ sudo /usr/lib/PolicyKit1/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1

** (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:3768): WARNING **: Unable to register
authentication agent: Remote Exception invoking
org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.RegisterAuthenticationAgent() on
/org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/Authority at name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1:
org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.NotSupported: Operation not supported
Cannot register authentication agent: Remote Exception invoking
org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.RegisterAuthenticationAgent() on
/org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/Authority at name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1:
org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.NotSupported: Operation not supported
drf at drfarch:~$ sudo /usr/lib/PolicyKit1/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1

** (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:3778): WARNING **: Unable to register
authentication agent: Remote Exception invoking
org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.RegisterAuthenticationAgent() on
/org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/Authority at name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1:
org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.NotSupported: Operation not supported
Cannot register authentication agent: Remote Exception invoking
org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.RegisterAuthenticationAgent() on
/org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/Authority at name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1:
org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.NotSupported: Operation not supported

Enough, I'd say ;) But I'm here, shall you need some more infos.