Local Authority plan

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 01:26:51 PDT 2009

Hey David,

I won't answer in blocks since your mail was pretty long and clear. First
things first, what you described seems great. Although, I have a couple of
questions.

Basically, your structure of preferences is the following

 10-osvendor
 20-org/site
 99-user

However, I believe 10 and 20 should be inverted. I mean, in my vision we have
the following situation

 -  Developer A develops a Polkit based application, and defines some default
policies
 - Distribution B believes that policies set by A are not really fitting their
way of doing things, so it puts its own pkla in the upper level
 - The user, again, overrides it

If that's what you meant, I misunderstood you.

Then, for groups and stuff, it would be really nice to integrate this is the
polkit-authorization manager. I mean, at the moment you can define Everyone-
Active Console, etc. It would be nice if one could set the group permission as
well. Also, you didn't talk/I didn't see anything related to ConsoleKit.

Having a distinction between the Active/Inactive console is quite fundamental
in my opinion: how will you take care of this matter with .pkla? Also, are
.policy files going to disappear in favor of .pkla?