PolicyKit, KDE, Qt, and integration

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 05:01:57 PDT 2009

Hello list,

I introduce myself: my name is Dario Freddi and I'm a KDE hacker. In
particular, these last times I worked with Daniel Nicoletti (reading in copy)
PolicyKit support to KDE.

After some months of work, we introduced complete feature parity with GNOME,
both for users and developers. Though, yesterday I saw that polkit-dbus & -
grant have been discontinued, and we used them a lot in our code.

What came to my mind is that we should integrate more the work between you,
the PolicyKit team, and us. I'm not asking you to code for us, but more a
closer co-operation.

A small example: Polkit-qt (the library that lets developers access PolicyKit
API) is now in kdesupport. Though, I'd favor to put it into the
freedesktop.org trees and release it side-by-side with Policykit, just as it
happens now with polkit-gnome.

We are trying to push a lot PolicyKit into KDE, and I personally care very
much about integration between the two desktops. Since I feel PolicyKit can be
a huge step in that direction, I sincerely hope we could work together in the
near future.

Cheers,
Dario

--