Multiple actions without reentring password

Radek Novacek rnovacek at redhat.com
Fri Jul 9 00:46:01 PDT 2010

We are creating library running on the DBus for some system configuration.
Polkit is used for managing authorizations. Is it possible to join some
actions that user will have to write password only once?

For example I want create simple application using the this library to write
configuration file to disk and run some service. It means two different
methods, but if both will have different polkit actions assigned user will
have to write password twice (and even more times for complicated actions).

I can imagine few solutions:

1) Create something like groups of actions, that will be authorized only once,
but I don't know if it is possible with current polkit.

2) Create simple helper application and create new polkit action for it - I
think this solution is too complicated.

3) All action managed by the library will have same polkit action - this
solution is bad, because it means there is no possibility to forbid only some
functions.

4) Something else...

Thanks for any suggestion.

Radek Novacek