Licensing on early PolicyKit code

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 03:31:05 PDT 2015

On 08/07/15 16:56, Alan Perry wrote:
> * Licensed under the Academic Free License version 2.1
> *
> * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
> * (at your option) any later version.

This looks like the same license grant as dbus. In dbus, we've always
interpreted it as a dual-license (disjunction), which would be "AFL-2.1
or GPL-2+" in http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/ syntax.

For an answer with any legal relevance, you'd need to talk to the
copyright holder, not the author (not necessarily the same, if the code
was written for a corporation). I think the copyright holder for early
PolicyKit code might be Red Hat? dbus originated in Red Hat, so this
might have been some RH developer's preferred license grant.

The AFL-2.1 and GPL-2 are indeed not compatible, so an "and" license
(must comply with both licenses simultaneously) would not make sense: it
is not possible to comply.