Solution- Ubuntu 14.10 Runaway Authorizations

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Tue May 5 21:36:50 PDT 2015

I recently wrote regarding the constant stream of unwarranted
authorizations I encountered after the latest software update
to 14.10... and when no answer was immediately forthcoming,
I attacked the /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.accounts.policy
file and tried different values for <action
id="org.freedesktop.accounts.change-own-user-data">;

I set these values as shown:

    <defaults>
      <allow_any>yes</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>yes</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>

I saved the file, did a ps, and killed the running polkitd process.

The "Authorization Required" messages ceased.

Blissful, blessed silence!

BTW, Every time my "variety" traded wallpapers, I'd get one of the
Authorization Required dialogs. I'm not certain what other things produced
such events.

murf
--

Steve Murphy
ParseTree Corporation

*The Beginning of the End:*
Civil Forfeiture: Police turn from Protectors to Predators
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks>
Corporate Vigilantism  & Use of Psychological Torture
<http://2tellthewholetruth.blogspot.com/?view=classic>