Removing JavaScript back-end

Alec Ari alec at onelabs.com
Tue Jan 29 22:20:25 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I don't like the idea of an authentication manager using JavaScript as a
back-end, and I'm not using that feature anyway. Mozilla doesn't make
SpiderMonkey sound all that great anyway. I removed all the remnants of
JavaScript/mozjs/SpiderMonkey in the Polkit tree but just wanted to ask
if this change is correct:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/polkit/tree/src/polkitbackend/polkitbackendauthority.c#n1434

->

authority = POLKIT_BACKEND_AUTHORITY (g_object_new
(POLKIT_BACKEND_TYPE_JS_AUTHORITY, NULL));

Changed to:

authority = POLKIT_BACKEND_AUTHORITY (g_object_new
(POLKIT_BACKEND_TYPE_AUTHORITY, NULL));

It compiles fine and SpiderMonkey no longer needs to be present. That's
all I've tested so far, but it's not clear to me if that change to
polkitbackendauthority.c is right.

I really don't want this to turn into an argument as asking these things
usually do. Polkit is open source, and I rather it not depend on
SpiderMonkey, personally. That's just my opinion, you don't have to
agree with it but if I can help it, I will remove it. Polkit is also the
only package that requires my Gentoo system to have SpiderMonkey
installed and it seemed easy enough to strip out from the tree (took me
only 2 minutes.) Please do not be offended by this question, I'm just
looking for a friend to help me with this one line of code.

Thank you!

Alec