mozjs->duktape and what's going to happen next

Jan Rybar jrybar at redhat.com
Thu Jul 22 16:01:37 UTC 2021

Hello everyone!

The recent activity in merge requests' comment sections made me re-think
the way the news is communicated with the polkit community.

tl;dr
- there were issues introduced by meson build transition
- the latest version did not bundle doc right
- there should be new release correcting this
- intltool->gettext transition maybe in next release (not decided yet)
- new branch for duktape development

I decided to provide a simple list of what's about to happen in polkit
development.
The situation around MR providing transition from mozjs to duktape as JS
engine has escalated a bit.
I want to assure everyone that it is a desirable change for the downstream
projects and the maintainers as much as for me. Yet, there are few things
that need to be taken care of first.

There are few issues introduced by the transition to meson build. Solutions
of some of them have already been merged, some need to be fixed yet (#148).
There was an issue with the latest release which didn't bundle
documentation correctly.
In the light of this, a new version of polkit should be released soon.
This will also contain some new features.
One of them might be a transition from intltool to gettext. This MR has
been prepared for a long time and Inigo Martinez has rebased it again
recently, therefore the priority.

Once this is done, I will create a new branch with rebased MR#35, so the
progress is visible to anyone. Contributors are welcome. The target is to
make the concerned code readable and SAFE so it can be merged into main
branch and mozjs can be left out of the dependency list.

Thank you all for your time,
Jan from polkit