[poppler] What does "linearized" mean?

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Tue Dec 6 01:10:21 PST 2005

I've been looking at a test doc (I plan to commit it it into the top level
test module when I can get over my "cvs commit: promotable lock failed.")
problem that has a Linearized element at the start:
%PDF-1.6^M%��
7 0 obj <</Linearized 1/L 12283/O 10/E 6809/N 1/T 12102/H [ 636
172]>>^Mendobj^M

Poppler returns true for isLinearized().
pdfinfo returns yes for "optimized"

Acrobat 7 says "Fast Web View: no"

I thought those things were equivalent. After reading Appendix F of the PDF
spec a couple more times, it looks like there may be extra things we should
check for, such as the L parameter. At least in this case, the real document
length is 17282, so that comparison would fail.

Thoughts on this? Suggestions? Patches ? :-)

Brad