[poppler] RFC: Crypto and poppler

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Wed Jul 6 04:22:38 PDT 2005

To support PDF 1.6 (ie Acrobat 7), we need to support AES decryption (or
encryption, its symmetric). Now that could be coded, but I'm a bit reluctant
to do so, because crypto is so messy, and hardware acceleration is so useful.

I have a couple of ideas:
1. Rely on an external library (probably something like libgcrypt, although
Botan might also be a possibility)
2. Provide hooks for plugable crypto implementions
3. Code it.

Right now, I'm thinking about the first one as the likely best bet. libgcrypt
might also replace the alleged RC4 and MD5 stuff.

Thoughts?

Brad