[poppler] ANNOUNCE: gimp-poppler version 0.4.0

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Wed Jun 29 08:43:03 PDT 2005

Nathan Summers wrote:
> gimp-poppler version 0.4.0 has been released.  It can be downloaded at
> http://rockwalrus.dyndns.org/~rockwlrs/gimp-poppler . This new version
> features thumbnailing and the ability to only load individual pages.
> There are other features; check the NEWS file for details.
>
> Unlike previous versions of gimp-poppler, this version relies on
> features only present in the developer's version of GIMP.  At present,
> it requires a fairly recent version from CVS.

Wow, good work, that's really nice.  Ideally, you shouldn't have to use
the /usr/include/popper/* API, so I was looking through glib_glue.cc to
see what kind of functionality we need to provide in the glib wrapper to
avoid this.  First, the page label is actually available in the glib
wrapper - it's probably not the most discoverable interface, but it's a
GObject property.  So you can do

         char *label = NULL;

         g_object_get (G_OBJECT (poppler_page),
                       "label", &label,
                       NULL);

to get the label for a PopplerPage.

As for the anti-alias toggle... I'm not sure.  It's only affecting the
fonts with the splash backend, right?  And the cairo backend can't
respect that setting.  Is it really something you'd want to disable?

Getting at the paths and text in the PDF as you mention in your previous
mail is a lot more difficult.  We can't easily get at that with the
current poppler structure, and defining a good API for this isn't easy
either.

Anyway, it's great to see poppler and the glib wrapper used outside
evince.  Let us know if there is more information you need from the
poppler-glib API.

cheers,
Kristian