[poppler] poppler-glib

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Thu Mar 17 23:01:54 PST 2005

Hi,

So, here's my attempt at a glib wrapper.  So far, it doesn't do much
except load a document and render pages to a GdkPixbuf, but I think it
shows promise, and I'm pretty sure this is the way we want to go.  We
should get something similar going for Qt, but for now I'd like to flesh
out the glib wrapper a bit more.  If somebody wants to work on the Qt
wrapper in parallel (Jeff, Albert?), that would be great.

I'm attaching three files: poppler-glib.h and poppler-glib.c implement
the glib wrapper.  Together they run to around 400 lines and I'm hoping
that we won't have to write more than 1500 lines of wrapper code total.
  The third file, test-poppler-glib.c is a small example of rendering a
part of a page into a png file using the glib wrapper.

If people are happy with this direction, my plan is to commit these
files to CVS (with required auto* magic) and then gradually add the
remaining features to allow evince to switch to this interface.  The
glib wrapper would live in poppler-glib/.  This may sound very glib and
evince centric, but it's all steps towards getting the kpdf patches
landed and doing the same for qt and kpdf.

On thing to note about the wrapper API is that it doesn't mention
neither splash nor cairo.  This is intentional and once the wrapper API
can replace the xpdf headers, I'm planning to remove poppler-cairo.pc
and poppler-splash.pc and install poppler-glib.pc and poppler-qt.pc instead.

Comments?
Kristian