[poppler] Permissions (was Re: poppler-glib)

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Fri Mar 18 08:46:29 PST 2005

At 10:54 AM 3/18/2005, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>But I don't want poppler to enforce these settings, that's a choice the
>application has to make.

         No, actually it is not.

         The PDF Specification is very clear that in order for a PDF
consumer to be granted the necessary rights for use of Adobe copyrighted
material - they are required to respect the digital rights of a PDF.  See
Section 1.5 (Intellectual Property) of the PDF Reference
Authors of software that accepts input in the form of the Portable Document
Format must make reasonable efforts to ensure that the software they create
respects
the access permissions and permissions controls listed in Table 3.20 of
this specification, to the extent that they are used in any particular
document.

>  I know that kpdf recently went through a flamewar over this very issue

         I wasn't part of that war - but the issue is crystal clear and no
debate is required.

Leonard

Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:leonardr at pdfsages.com>
Chief Technical Officer                      <http://www.pdfsages.com>
PDF Sages, Inc.                              215-938-7080 (voice)
                                              215-938-0880 (fax)