[poppler] [KPDF-PATCH] Fontconfig support

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Mar 21 23:05:56 PST 2005

Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Hi, here comes our fontconfig patch, i see poppler has inherited from evince a
> fontconfig function that xpdf does not have, but i think ours is better, i
> explain the reasons:
>
>  - The fontconfig code in poppler right now is not able to use winddings font
> i have installed in my system to properly render · (a dot) in
> http://usuarios.lycos.es/tsdgeos/test.pdf and instead it renders Ÿ (Y with
> dieresis) while our code does.
>
>  - FcNameParse does not works with pdf font names, we have a custom parsing
> function.

I finally got around to looking into this patch.  I do like the idea of
parsing the weight and slant settings from the PDF font name; that
should improve the font matching heuristic a great deal.

Martin Kretzschmar did point out to me, though, that the patch removes
the GlobalParams::setupBaseFontsFc() function from evince, which
initializes the 14 standard fonts using fontconfig.  But reading the
kpdf source, it looks like you don't initialize the standard fonts at
all (i.e. you don't call GlobalParams::setupBaseFonts() either), but
handle all font references through the general font matching
algorithm... correct?

Provided you get decent matches for the standard fonts, I'd say this is
probably the best way to do it.  In any case, it should be tunable by
either adjusting the fontconfig config file, so I think it should work
fine.  Unless anybody has any objections, I'll commit this patch in a
day or two.

cheers,
Kristian