[poppler] splash output improvement

Carlos Fangmeier carlos.fangmeier at sixbell.com
Thu Nov 10 10:17:23 PST 2005

Hi, I'm using the evince pdf reader, who use the poppler lib to do the
render. I notice that the render of poppler ( using the splash output )
is much slower than xdf. Maybe runing evince on a desktop pc isn'tt a
big deal, but runing evince on a Zaurus C860 is to slow.
Using valgrind-cachegrind on my pc I find out that most of the cpu used
for rendering a pdf, was spend in the constructor
SplashScreen::SplashScreen  ( almost 38% ), so I decided to do some
litle improvement. After my changes the cpu spend on this constructor
dropped to 0.1%. With this improvement the evince response was much
better than before.
Attachedt to this mail is the patch with my changes, maybe they aren't
100% acording with your develope, but it could  be a good idea.
Basically I implemented a cache for all possible threshold matrix.

Best regards

Carlos Fangmeier

La informacion contenida en esta transmision es confidencial, y no puede ser usada por otras personas que su(s) destinatario(s). El uso no autorizado de la informacion contenida en esta transmision puede ser sancionado. Si ha recibido esta transmision por error, por favor destruyala y notifique al remitente telefonicamente, con cobro revertido o via e-mail.

The information contained in this transmission is privileged, and may not be used by any person other than its addressee(s). Unauthorized use of the information contained in this transmission may be punished  by law.  If received in error, please destroy and notify the sender by calling collect or by e-mail.