[poppler] Form support summer of code as of 23/07/2006 port to Qt4 backend

Julien Rebetez julien at fhtagn.net
Thu Aug 10 15:42:49 PDT 2006

Hello,
The patch mentionned in Piotr's mail is attached to this mail.
I don't think it is clean enough for cvs-inclusion at the moment, and
I'm currently writing a new PDFDoc::SaveAs method, which use 'real'
object management (see the discussion 'Incremental update in poppler' we
had a couple of days ago).

Le jeudi 10 août 2006 à 11:58 -0400, Leonard Rosenthol a écrit :
> At 11:21 AM 8/10/2006, =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Piotr_Szyma=F1ski?= wrote:
> >1. need to check which encoding the content of the form field is in
>
>          The value (/V) for any non-rich-text field is stored EITHER
> as PDDocEncoding OR as Unicode (UTF-16) - that's it - no other choices.
Thanks for the precision, I need to investigate that.

>          Obviously, you'll need the font information for rendering/editing.
I think it isn't the job of the client(Evince, oKular) application to
render the modified fields. My current approach is to implement very
quick field content rendering in Evince (without bothering too much
about how it looks) and then ask poppler to re-render the document with
the exact font/color properties of the field. (so the user will only see
the client-side 'fast' text for the duration of poppler's page
re-rendering).
Anyway, if we can take content's color and font information into account
in the client application without loosing performances, it would be
better -- it needs to be investigated.

>          On a totally different note - I don't see any support for
> generation of Appearances (/AP) for the fields after they have been
> modified (or at a minimum, removal of existing ones and setting of
> /NeedsAppearances).
/NeedsAppearances will be set in an upcoming patch.
Currently, I use Annot::generateAppearance to draw text and it's working
quite good with ascii text (since content isn't stored in UTF atm,
haven't tested further), I made screencast of it, see [1] and [2].
Speaking of that, the generateAppearance function was commented with a
comment saying it wasn't complete, do someone have a summary of what is
missing ?

Thanks for the feedback :-)

Julien

[1] http://fhtagn.net/soc/evince_07232006.gif