[poppler] Non-initialized variable and question about streams

Krzysztof Kowalczyk kkowalczyk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 15:27:36 PDT 2006

On 8/20/06, Stéphane Magnenat <nct at ysagoon.com> wrote:
> * Strange addFilters behaviour
>
> Every time I try to get an uncompress substream of a Flate encoded stream
> (lines 58 to 75 of pdfds.cpp), I get "Error (some int here): Unknown
> compression method in flate stream". Yet the dict does have the correct
> parameters and afaik is passed correctly to addFilters.
> I'm using libpoppler version 0.5.3-0ubuntu1 on Ubuntu Dapper. I've been asked
> wether I'm using a zlib-enabled poppler. ldd /usr/lib/libpoppler.so does say
> libz is linked in, but I'm not sure that implies a zlib-enabled poppler. Is
> there a way to check ?

If it links to zlib then it's most likely using zlib. To find out for
sure you can run your program under gdb and set a breakpoint at
inflateInit in libzlib. If it gets hit, then you can see the callstack
and it's 99% guranteed to use zlib. You can also recompile poppler
yourself, making sure that it doesn't use zlib, and see if the problem
persists.

BTW: if you're only interested in parsing PDFs (not rendering) you
might also try http://podofo.sourceforge.net/. I haven't used it
myself but it seems to be less advanced that poppler at the moment but
progressing at much faster pace.

Also, you might try http://pybrary.net/pyPdf/ (also haven't used it myself).

-- kjk | http://blog.kowalczyk.info