[poppler] junk displayed if fonts not embedded

Rod Butcher rbutcher at hyenainternet.com
Fri Feb 3 01:01:29 PST 2006

I've built poppler and evince from cvs head on a Mandrake 10.2 box,
x.org 6.9 stable.
I find consistently that for documents where fonts are not embedded,
junk is displayed, i.e. poppler / evince doesn't get the fonts from my
system, even if they are installed.
Bug 5255 seems to describe this same problem.
Is there documentation available about how poppler accesses fonts from
the host system if they are not embedded in the document ? Any specific
requirements for making these fonts available to poppler ?
It doesn't seem a build issue as I get the same problem with rpms
Mandrake builds.
Thanks
Rod