[poppler] poppler really slow when reading some documents

Christian Krause krause.chr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 01:18:00 PST 2006

On 1/3/06, Brad Hards <bradh at frogmouth.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 13:46 pm, Christian Krause wrote:
> > I've noticed that poppler based pdf readers are incredibly slow when
> > rendering the serial ata specification. (Available
> > http://www.serialata.org/specifications.asp:
> > http://www.serialata.org/docs/serialata10a.pdf)
> > Slow means, that there is not even a single page displayed within 20
> > minutes. Acroread can display the document within seconds. ;-)
> I'm not seeing this problem with the current (cvs HEAD) version. I do see it
> with the xpdf on my old Fedora Core 2 box. It takes a few seconds to load the
> first page, then about half a second after that.

This is strange, really strange. Or the problem depends on something
else (compiler, glibc)?

If you strace -f evince, do you see the large amount of  mmap2/munmap
calls, too?

> Can you retest with the latest from cvs?

Sure. No difference. It is too slow to show the document:

rpm@:/tmp$ wget http://www.serialata.org/docs/serialata10a.pdf
rpm@:/tmp$ md5sum /tmp/serialata10a.pdf
f7933f828c04d7e07c5c43c604a8a065  /tmp/serialata10a.pdf
a.pdf

rpm@:~/tmp/cvs/poppler$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=poppler/.libs/:glib/.libs/
rpm@:~/tmp/cvs/poppler$ ldd /usr/bin/evince|grep -i poppler
        libpoppler-glib.so.0 => glib/.libs/libpoppler-glib.so.0 (0xa742c000)
        libpoppler.so.0 => poppler/.libs/libpoppler.so.0 (0xa72f2000)
rpm@:~/tmp/cvs/poppler$ /usr/bin/evince /tmp/serialata10a.pdf

What else can we test?

Best regards,
Christian