[poppler] GPL & code commits (was Alternate Patch for CharCodeToUnicode.cc)

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Sun Jan 22 11:32:09 PST 2006

At 03:45 PM 1/21/2006, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>I can not prevent someone else relicensing my code? My code is mine and i
>decide under what license i release it, and the code i do for poppler is GPL.
>You can not use it in a non-GPL project.

         No argument.

> >          So using the first example, since Poppler is/will be
> > shipping as part of Red Hat - are you suggesting that the Red Hat
> > folks are not allowed to include your code with their distribution?
>No, they can include poppler as they are not relicensing it.

         But they are....

         You can purchase a commercial license
for RH - which, I assume, would include Poppler...

> >          And what is to prevent me from writing a Poppler-based
> > application and selling it - provided that I put the sources on the
> > disk and/or provide a link?
>Nothing, but remember you must not only provide the poppler sources but ALSO
>your application sources.

         Depends on how I use Poppler (direct
link vs. calling out) - but yes, it's a possibility.

>I do business? i wonder how, i've got 0 € for my work on poppler/kpdf, if i
>count the trip i did to KDE conference to present a poppler talk that number
>would even be negative, that is without counting the hours spent.

         But there is more to business than just $$...

         Do you not get professional recognition
for your work on poppler/kpdf?  Do you not have a
"standing" in the KDE community because of your
work? Is it not something you would put on a resume when applying for a job?

>Yeah yeah, speak of OSS, don't tellme about how OSS works, tell Derek. He has
>NEVER accepted any kind of cooperation (that is basically why poppler
>exists), also i have lots of unanswered mails i sent him.

         Huh??

         I've been working with Derek and Xpdf
for almost 10 years now, even before I paid for a
commercial license.  I've committed patches, new
features, etc.   BUT perhaps that is the
difference - I am willing to be a partner with
him by working with him and his business as opposed to trying to fight it.

         I program to benefit users...I was
releasing freeware and source code before the
"open source movement" existed.  If I write
something and make it available - then someone
else doesn't have to waste time duplicating my
effort and instead can do something cool(er)!  I
don't care whether they use it to make $$ or
not.   But that's me...and perhaps that's why I
am able to participate in both "sides".

Leonard