[poppler] Poppler as a library for parsing and manipulating PDF files?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Jan 24 10:43:16 PST 2006

A Dimarts 24 Gener 2006 15:20, Frank Küster va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> HEADLINE: Should Poppler be used as a library for parsing and
>           manipulating PDF files?
>
> I'm the maintainer of teTeX in Debian, a package that includes pdftex
> and therefore a copy of xpdf code.  We've been bitten by the security
> issues in xpdf in the past, in particular because our xpdf version is
> usually older than the one the patches are made for.
>
> Therefore we always longed [1] for a shared library that we could use
> instead of our xpdf code copy, and in fact it is technically easy to use
> libpoppler[2].  However, I'm concerned whether you will support such
> uses in the future.  The poppler website describes the software as "a
> PDF rendering library", but *rendering* is not what pdftex does (nor do
> pdftohtml, pdftk, and other candidates that face a similar situation).
> Instead, the functionality is used to analyse the PDF structure, to
> extract parts, and to even manipulate them (pdftk is designed for this).
>
> Therefore I'd like to know whether you plan any changes that might
> affect such uses of poppler, and whether you actually encourage such
> use.

Well, poppler (xpdf) for it self is not able of manipulting files as of now.

In my opinion having manipulation capabilities inside poppler would be a nice
thing, but AFAIK nobody is working on that.

If you have some volunteer that wants to do the work i think we will all agree
to help him as much as possible.

Albert

P.S: We already have pdftohtml and some other utils in the utils directory of
the CVS