[poppler] poppler as Plugin for FF?

Krzysztof Kowalczyk kkowalczyk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 12:20:04 PDT 2006

On 7/6/06, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> A Dijous 06 Juliol 2006 17:30, Thomas Zühlke va escriure:
> > Hi *,
> >
> > I try to write a PDF plugin for the Firefox browser for Windows xp,
> > because not all PDF features are supported by the Adobe PDF plugin.
> > The feature i need is the annotation of some text of the PDF file.
> >
> > Is it possible to compile the poppler library under windows (VS 2003) and
> > show some PDF files with it?
>
> Yes

That's not really true. You would have to spend at least a day or 2
making portability fixes and writing project files for VS. You can
reuse the work I did for Sumatra PDF
(http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/) (although I use VS
2005 so you would have to manually re-create projects). Currently it's
still not good enough because I used poppler as a base and it stripped
the windows-specific font handling code present in xpdf (on which
poppler is based) in favour of fontconfig, which is not available on
windows. I'm planning to re-integrate that code soon.

You can also take a look at GhostPDF (http://ghostpdf.com/new.html). I
tried it a few months ago. It was easier to port to windows than
poppler (windows port is better maintained and it has a basic windows
viewer as part of the sources) and it already has basic Firefox
plugin. It has a strange license, though, and I don't know what is the
level of its annotation support.

-- kjk