[poppler] Incremental update in poppler

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Wed Jul 12 05:30:02 PDT 2006

At 05:37 AM 7/12/2006, John C Barstow wrote:
>A linearized document with updates is expected to be handled the same
>way as a standard document.

         Expected, yes - but it isn't done so in practice :(.   So
that such documents will end up producing the wrong results when
viewed in certain versions of certain viewers.

> >          Or follow my original suggestion of doing real object
> > handling in Xpdf - which would then enable live changes/updates
> to any object.
> >
>My reading of the spec indicates that the addIncrementalObject approach
>is correct,

         Define "correct" in this context...

         If it doesn't enable the functionality that is required,
then by my definition it isn't correct.  addIncrementalObject only
works in the case where you are replacing an existing indirect object
- it does NOT provide for replacing a direct object NOR for adding
either direct or indirect WITHOUT replacing the parent object.   Xpdf
doesn't currently provide enough information (ie. the original
object) in order to recreate the parent...

>  but I'd personally prefer to see the implementation ironed
>out at an application level (such as xpdf or evince) before pushing it
>into the library.

         If the underlying architecture is flawed, the application
APIs aren't relevant.

LDR