[poppler] Rendering / Printing corruption: images in PDFs

Daniel Kasak dan at entropy.homelinux.org
Tue Jul 25 16:24:34 PDT 2006

Hi all.

Firstly, apologies if I've got the wrong list. The bugs I'm encountering
occur when I use evince, but I believe that evince uses poppler, so I'm
guessing that I'm dealing with a poppler bug ...

For a while now, I've noticed that when evince opens PDFs with images,
there is a small ( maybe 30% ) chance that images in the PDF will render
incorrectly ... usually having small hints of the image, but with
massive corruption. If I zoom in & out with evince, this issue fixes
itself, so I haven't bothered too much with it.

Anyway, I've just noticed that if I print from evince, I *always* get
this massive corruption of images. Some pdfs that I'm working with are
available at:

http://entropy.homelinux.org/stuff/targets_collections.pdf
http://entropy.homelinux.org/stuff/targets_confirmed.pdf
http://entropy.homelinux.org/stuff/targets_stacked_percentages.pdf

All these PDFs were created using PDF::ReportWriter ( my own creation,
by the way ), which in turn uses PDF::API2. The images were created with
JPGraph. The pdfs render and print perfectly with Acrobat. They all
render correctly with evince ( excluding the intermittent rendering
issue mentioned above ). However printing them *always* gives me a big
black box where the image should be, with *very* small bits of colours
from the original image smeared across the black stuff.

Can someone please confirm whether this is a poppler bug? As I said, I'm
not certain where exactly the bug is, so I would greatly appreciate
someone pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks :)

Dan