[poppler] Win32 portability

Krzysztof Kowalczyk kkowalczyk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 13:21:34 PDT 2006

On 6/4/06, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> A Dissabte 03 Juny 2006 23:48, Krzysztof Kowalczyk va escriure:
> For example both change the errorFunction definition, that's obviously wrong,
> why fix it for windows and break it for the others?
>
> Also i think i like Reece patch better, i don't see why fontconfig has to be
> left out from windows, i could compile poppler with fontconfig on windows so
> leaving them unconditionally out is a bad thing.

I guess some things depend on the definition of "wrong". My change for
error function doesn't change anything for existing code, just #ifdefs
the code for win32, so that I can just define error() function in my
code, which is how it works in xpdf code. If you ask me, ability to
set error function at runtime is overkill, but that's a matter of
taste.

As for fontconfig, it depends on what your goals are. I want native
(visual studio), simple compilation that produces a single binary.
Dependency on fontconfig is a deal breaker for me.

The code to get fonts on windows is simple and already present in
xpdf. It might make sense to replace that with fontconfig on unix but
not on Windows. It's not a big deal to abstract the font loading and
matching code to allow 2 independent implementation, one using
fontconfig for unix and another one that is designed to work well on
Windows.

-- kjk | http://blog.kowalczyk.info