[poppler] hello and a question about HtmlOutputDev

Jauco Noordzij jauco at jauco.nl
Sun Jun 11 09:58:48 PDT 2006

On 6/11/06, Brad Hards <bradh at frogmouth.net> wrote:
> My point is that if you build it on the poppler side, then it will work for
> anyone.
True, you have a point. I will discuss it with Dom (my SoC mentor).
However, I do think that there is a place for output to native XML
anyway. As I said in my original mail it would make it easier to
import pdf not just for me, but for other programmers from other apps
as well. Like vector drawing programs such as inkscape or dtp
programs. These programs usually already use an XML based format so
they know how to read and parse it. This way they don't need the
general outputdev headers to write their own WhateverOutputDev.

> Also, you might like to look at the KOffice PDF import filter. It does a
> reasonable job, although recent changes to poppler might allow you to avoid
> making so many guesses (you said "set of heuristics", but we are talking
> about the same thing :-). There can be structure in a PDF document (see spec
> version 3.6), and getting that structure back is the key to a great import
> filter.
Thanks!

--
groeten,