[poppler] Abiword Poppler Backend

Dominic Lachowicz domlachowicz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 11:32:07 PDT 2007

Hi Albert,

The code is part of last year's AbiWord Summer of Code project. The
goal was to reconstruct a more-or-less semantically accurate version
of a PDF document, capable of being imported to a Word processor. So
things like lists, columns, headings, TOCs, tables, headers, footers,
footnotes, and etc. would be preserved.

>From what I can tell, there is a pretty big demand for this amongst
AbiWord's users, and probably carries over to KWord, OOo Writer, and
their kin.

This plugin converts PDF to AbiWord's native format, preserving
columns, text formatting, paragraphs, and a few other things. Jauco
could tell you better than I could.

Ideally, we could push a few of these OutputDevs into Poppler proper,
instead of its command-line utility directory. And then expose glib/QT
APIs equivalent to:

char* poppler_document_convert_to_text ()
char *poppler_document_convert_to_html ()

Jauco's OutputDev adds a dependency on libxslt and libxml2, IIRC.
However, this is currently limited to the 'pdf2abw' program. That
would of course change if we decided to move it into Poppler proper.

For the time being, I can make building pdf2abw contingent on finding
these dependencies if someone wants.

Cheers,
Dom

On 4/3/07, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> A Dimarts 03 Abril 2007, Jeff Muizelaar va escriure:
> > Included below is Jauco's work from SoC 2006. It doesn't modify any
> > existing poppler code so I don't see any reason not to merge it. Does
> > anyone disagree?
>
> What does it do?
> Is he willing to mantain it?
> Does it have any additional dependency?
>
> Albert
>

> > -Jeff

Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums.