[poppler] Switching source control tools.

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Apr 26 14:35:58 PDT 2007

A Dijous 26 Abril 2007, Jeff Muizelaar va escriure:
> [...]
> > (e.g. if I code in Visual Studio, with SVN I could do all svn
> > interaction without leaving IDE, with git I would have to switch to
> > cygwin shell - not a big problem but very annoying).
>
> I could list annoyances with using SVN or CVS vs. git too:
> - performance (this one is huge)
> - lack of something like StGit
> - lack of something like 'git log [directory]'
> - lack of a decent web interface on freedesktop
>
> > And finally, I put myself in the "experienced Unix user" category but
> > I don't believe that's the case with most Windows developers so don't
> > really expect that most people will be thrilled by the prospect of
> > learning Unix just so that they can get by in cygwin well enough to
> > use git.
>
> Wouldn't they have to learn Unix well enough to build Poppler as
> well? Once they've gotten that far, using git isn't much harder.
>
> > So on the source control front, I don't see a compelling reason for
> > switching from cvs but if the switch happens, I would much prefer svn
> > over git.
>
> Just the concept of having atomic changes to the source tree is as
> compelling reason as I think we need. Personally, I don't see a
> compelling reason to keep using cvs.
>
> > In general, I think that open-source projects that want their code to
> > be well supported on Windows should ask "how can we make it easy for
> > windows developers to contribute" as opposed to "if we do this, will
> > it be bad enough for them to not contribute".
>
> This of course needs to be weighed against the cost that this has on
> unix developers.
>
> > Using windows-friendly scm is one thing. Providing native build
> > environment (i.e. Visual Studio project files) would be another. In my
> > experience a majority of unix-originated project don't put any effort
> > (or even actively work against) attracting Windows developers and
> > that, in my opinion, is the reason why they don't get any patches from
> > them.
>
> CVS wasn't a very windows-friendly scm when it was 2 years old either.
> It only became friendly because enough windows users needed to use CVS.
> Plus, there is work being done to make git easier to use on windows like
> the eclipse plugin and the SoC mono port.
>
> > Cairo isn't a good example either. It's a very active project but it
> > actually is often broken on windows and, relatively to overall
> > activity, gets very little contributions from windows crows (I believe
> > most of developement was done by Mozilla folks, that don't have a
> > choice but to make it work on windows well enough for mozilla).
>
> But I don't think that the lack of contributions from windows people is
> because cairo uses git. I could be wrong, but I don't think the number
> of windows contributions has gone down significantly from when cairo
> used CVS. My point here was just that the cairo people do actually care
> about the windows folk. Whereas, afaik, Poppler doesn't even try to be

Well, in my opinion me we are not against poppler on windows, just that noone
is working on it :-D

P.S: As a sidenode, since August last year, my blog received from google

127 people searching for "poppler windows"
  8 people searching for "poppler for windows"
  8 people searching for "windows poppler"
  5 people searching for "poppler on windows"
  3 people searching for "poppler+windows"
  3 people searching for "pdf poppler windows"
  3 people searching for "Poppler windows"
  3 people searching for "poppler mingw"
  3 people searching for "poppler pdf windows"
  3 people searching for "+poppler +windows"
  2 people searching for "poppler pdf viewer windows"
  2 people searching for "poppler pdf windows"
  2 people searching for "compile windows poppler qt4"
  1 person searching for "window pdf reader poppler"

and to compare only

  6 people searching for "poppler"
  6 people searching for "poppler-qt4 download"
  6 people searching for "poppler qt4"
  3 people searching for "poppler vs xpdf"
  3 people searching for "poppler-qt4"
  2 people searching for "kpdf poppler"
  2 people searching for "poppler-0.4.3"
  2 people searching for "kpdf poppler patch"
  1 person searching for "poppler opengl" <---- WTF?

So it seems THERE is a "market" for poppler on windows, we just need someone
working on it :D

Albert