[poppler] Switching source control tools.

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Fri Apr 27 18:18:35 PDT 2007

On Saturday 28 April 2007 00:50, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> On 4/27/07, Brad Hards <bradh at frogmouth.net> wrote:
> > On Friday 27 April 2007 04:52, Jeff Muizelaar wrote:
> > > So what do people, especially Albert, think? Now that 302 is merged
> > > (thanks Albert) we have time to do less constructive things like argue
> > > about which SCM to use :)
> >
> > I'd prefer subversion, just because I'm already familiar with it. Not
> > familiar with git, and I don't see decentralised as that big an
> > advantage.
>
> (Apologies for yet another bad car analogy)
>
> I think that's a common position if you never tried git.  But there's
> a difference between, say, buying a car, where you can pick and choose
> only the features you want because you're going to drive it, and
> selecting an SCM, where you'll just be one of several developers using
> the tool.
To paraphrase: "we want git, too bad".

> The point I'm trying to make is that git can work in a centralized
> mode just as well as svn, and if you don't care about the
> decentralized features of git, just pretend they're not there.  Even
> if you don't need the features, there's no need to prevent others from
> benefitting from disconnected commits, local history browsing, local,
> cheap branches and all that.
How about svn and svk. Or svn with local git tools. You can get what you want,
and I can get what I want.

> And just to clarify, git can be used in a number of ways.  In the
> kernel community everybody has his own little tree and everybody
> merges back and forth.  That's chaotic and confusing, and if this is
> what people think of when they think about a decentralized SCM I can
> understand the resistance.  What we're going to do in case we move
> poppler to git is to set up a central repository on
> git.freedesktop.org, and everybody who now has CVS commit access will
> be able to push their changes into that repository.
I'm still not keen on learning another set of command line options. Is there a
recommended GUI for git that I can use for the occasional work I do on
poppler?

Brad