[poppler] [REMINDER] Poppler 0.6 release

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Aug 25 13:17:45 PDT 2007

A Dissabte 25 Agost 2007, Martin Schröder va escriure:
> 2007/8/25, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>:
> > *** beign more lax about ending %%EOF ***
> > Lately there seem to be some pdf around that do not end with %%EOF. That
> > sucks as they break the check i introduced for %%EOF beign present and
> > are not REAL pdf.
> > This check is not really needed for "finished" files, but on kpdf/okular
> > we have that handy "Check for file changes" that reloads the document
> > once the file has changed (useful for latex people), the problem with
> > that is that you know it changed, but not that it will not change
> > anymore, so we often ended up reloading incomplete files that randomly
> > crashed poppler.
> > So i introduced the %%EOF check to avoid that.
> > But it seems that is hurting us now, so we can remove the %%EOF check and
> > try to improve poppler not to crash on incomplete documents or leave it
> > that way and keep repeating our users that if it does not have an %%EOF
> > it's not a PDF and that they should bug the producer not the consumer of
> > the pdf file.
>
> Will that hurt the pdftex -> kpdf/okular interaction?

Should not hurt kpdf as kpdf is not using poppler (unless you use some BAD
distributions that use a wrong patch and make me mad about it).

Okular does use poppler. The pdftex -> okular interaction would be probably
worse until we find which parts of poppler crash while loading half-generated
files. That is not an easy job because i could never reproduce those crashes.

Albert