[poppler] Annot Improving (III)

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri Dec 7 16:22:21 PST 2007

A Dissabte 08 Desembre 2007, Brad Hards va escriure:
> On Thursday 06 December 2007 10:45:09 am Iñigo Martínez wrote:
> > I have changed again the last patch with the required changes and synced
> > it with the git head.
>
> This is good stuff.
>
> > I have tried it with some annot testing PDF documents I have around and
> > everything looks like is working correctly, but I have some (more)
> > things I have notes about thought.
> >
> > 1. When the dash numbers in the arrays are wrong, poppler old code does
> > give them 1 value, but reading the pdf reference there is this:
> >
> > "Note that no dash phase is specified; the phase is assumed to be 0."
> >
> > So I have assumed that it should have 0, so I have changed it. There are
> > some error handling I don't know have to handle too, so I have added a
> > TODO comment to do it later.
>
> I'm not sure I fully understand your concern, because I don't know what you
> mean by "the dash numbers in the arrays are wrong". However my reading of
> the PDF reference (1.7, Table 8.17) leads me to understand that the lack of
> a phase is just how PDF does it. Try looking at Table 4.6 in the PDF
> reference. Another way to think about it: imagine you have a dash pattern
> (D array) of [3 4]:
> ---    ---    ---    ---
> What the lack of a phase means is that there is no way to do express this:
>   ---    ---    ---    ---
> (note the "offset" at the start of the line)
>
> I think if there is an error (e.g. D array contains something that isn't a
> dash pattern), you should assume the default of [3] (i.e. three units on,
> three units off, repeating).
>
> > 2. When handling the colors, poppler old code does default red and green
> > to 0 but blue to 1. There is nothing about that in the reference. My
> > code does default all colors to 0, as it does support more color spaces,
> > maybe I shoudl change it but, where are those 'magic' numbers come
> > from ?
>
> I'm not sure. I agree this is missing information in the PDF reference.
>
> > I think I should do some testing with Acrobat Reader to test everything.
> > How do you do those testings ? How do you know what values does use
> > Acrobat once it detects a wrong object/value ?
>
> You can't. You can only observe a reasonable selection, and wait for the
> bug reports :-( If you need particular test cases, you may have to
> hand-edit a PDF file to get the right setup.

You can also use podofo that is always nicer than hand editing.

> Also,
> http://acroeng.adobe.com/Test_Files/comments/ might be useful.
>
> I thought there was a bug report about annotation colours, but it is only
> on link colours.
>
> > As always any comment is welcome.
>
> I have a couple of extra comments:
>
> The change to Gfx looks good (much better style), but I'm a bit concerned
> that the improvements will complicate the next xpdf merge. Albert did the
> last round of merges - I'd like his feedback on this. Is there likely to be
> problems with restricting the changes to the Annotation classes (i.e. keep
> the AnnotBorder, AnnotBorderArray, AnnotBorderBS, AnnotColor classes, but
> only use them behind the current AnnotBorderStyle interface)?

Not sure it'll be much problematic, of course it could create problems with
merging and stuff but they don't be to be so many lines that we can not cope
with them while merging.

Albert