[poppler] Proposal: Poppler 0.8 release plan

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Sat Feb 2 23:54:30 PST 2008

On Sunday 20 January 2008 02:17:34 am Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Brad are you still aiming/working on optional content for next poppler
> release?
I am, and it is going OK.

I have the state handling mostly working. The logic is partly implemented in
core code, and partly in the qt4 bindings. The reason for this is mostly
driven by keeping the core code clean / minimal, and partly to avoid having
to build the tree structure in raw code.

The PDF spec says:
Graphical content in a PDF file can be made optional by specifying membership
in an optional content group or optional content membership dictionary. Two
primary mechanisms are available:
• Sections of content streams delimited by marked-content operators can be
made optional, as described in “Optional Content in Content Streams,” below.
• Form and image XObjects and annotations can be made optional in their
entirety by means of a dictionary entry, as described in “Optional Content in
XObjects and Annotations” on page 344.

I do the XObject bit now, but not annotations (shouldn't be too hard) and I am
still working on which operations do / do not get impacted by being in a
Marked Content set

I handle visibility policy ("P") but not Visibility Expressions ("VE"). I
don't have an example for VE.

I am planning to pull the old Qt4 test applications out, and introduce a new
demo application.

If someone can tell me the git commands to compare my branch to master, I can
post a diff.

Brad