[poppler] Poppler 0.8.2 released

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu May 1 23:23:36 PDT 2008

Hi James, Albert, and others,

On 02/05/2008, at 9:23 AM, James Cloos wrote:
> [...]

First let me say that I'm very pleased that you guys
have found some interest in my PDFs.

> Albert> That's not because of the internal links, it's just because
> the
> Albert> document is (i think) malformed and we don't handle those
> Albert> malformedness gracefully.
>
> Makes sense.

Would you please elaborate on exactly what you think is malformed
about the PDFs. Is there something wrong, or missing?
Are there some conventions that have not been followed?

Current versions of Acrobat Reader work fine with those PDFs,
but that doesn't mean that future versions will continue to do so;
nor does it mean that other PDF browsers will do so.

Indeed, Apple's Preview does not implement the Javascript
needed for the pop-ups. Nor does it pass a click through to
the underlying hyperlink, as it does on AR with Javascript
disabled, when clicking where a pop-up button would
otherwise be found.

As has been observed, these PDFs are created using pdfTeX.
If the malformedness is something that I can fix in the macros,
then certainly I'd like to fix my programming, or devise patches
for other people's packages.

If, on the other hand, it is due to an inadequacy in the treatment
of annotations by pdfTeX itself, I'm sure that the developers
would like to know about it. After all, it was they who suggested
that I approach Poppler developers about my concerns with Xpdf.

> -JimC
> --
> James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Thanks again,

	Ross.

PS.
  ... and yes, I know that the way to move the pop-up images around
is a bit clunky. However, I've been told that Adobe is going to
provide better widgets for doing this kind of thing in AR9.
So I'll modify it when that has happened.
(Though there will still be an issue of backwards compatibility;
so the same methods may remain, but only used when appropriate.)

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au